Salmon cakes make a great +1 to risotto, green salad, or – for my fellow Southerners – grits 🙂
- 8 7.5 oz (or 4 15 oz) cans of red salmon, skin and large bones removed
- juice of 1 large lemon
- salt and pepper
- Optional: 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 1 large bunch of fresh dill, chopped and large stems removed
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup mayo
- olive oil
* Makes 34-36 medium cakes.
- In a large bowl, combine salmon with lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add shallot (if desired), dill, eggs, bread crumbs, and mayo, mixing between each ingredient.
- Form salmon mixture into patties.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Cook cakes until golden brown and done throughout (apr. 3min/side).
- Transfer cooked cakes to a paper-towel lined plate to absorb excess oil, and serve.
- Wrap leftover salmon cakes individually in plastic wrap, and freeze in a large freezer bag.
- Reheating instructions: Do not thaw – reheat from frozen. Remove desired number of salmon cakes from freezer bag and plastic wrap. Reheat in a 400 degree oven or toaster oven. Alternatively, heat a tiny bit of olive oil in a nonstick pan, and lightly saute frozen cakes until re-crisped and heated throughout.