Disclaimer: While this dish does include green veggies and lean protein, and I did decrease the amount of butter and heavy cream involved, I cannot even begin to pretend that this is a health food. This is pure, creamy comfort food all the way!
This recipe makes plenty for leftovers and freezing. Y’all know how I love my freezer 🙂
- 1 pkg cooked, drained pasta (I used whole wheat spaghetti)
- 3 cups cooked, sliced chicken breasts*
- 3 cups steamed (fresh or frozen) broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 cups half and half
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper and nutmeg to taste (apr. 1/8 tsp each)
* When I make basic salt + lemon pepper sauteed boneless, skinless chicken breasts, I slice and freeze the leftovers (divided into 1 cup servings, wrapped in plastic wrap, and placed in freezer bag) for dishes that call for cooked chicken.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add half and half, heavy cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, and heat through. (Watch the pot carefully: heated milk products boil over very easily.)
- Stir in parmesan, and cook until incorporated into the half and half mixture.
- Turn off the heat, and add pasta, chicken, and broccoli. Toss and serve.
- Freeze cooled leftovers in individual servings wrapped in plastic wrap and placed in a freezer bag.
- To reheat: Thaw in the fridge. Warm 1/2 cup half and half in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add thawed pasta, and stir.