- 1 1/2 cups water (for creamy oatmeal, sub in 1/4 – 1/2 cup milk for an equal amount of water)
- 1/2 cup whole oats
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped*
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons honey OR brown sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins or other dried fruit
* To “chop” nuts in a hurry, I put them in a plastic bag and whack ’em with a rolling pin.
- Bring the water (or water + milk mixture) to a boil.
- Add oats, and decrease heat to medium or medium high.
- Add nuts, cinnamon, and vanilla. Stir.
- Cook until most of the liquid has been incorporated.
- Stir in raisins and honey (or brown sugar), and cook until heated through.
- TO REHEAT: Bring a small amount of water or milk to a boil. Add refrigerated oatmeal, and stir until completely heated.