I seriously believe that breakfast is indeed the most important meal of the day: it gets my metabolism going, helps me shake off I’m-still-sleepy sluggishness, and sets the tone for the rest of day. (I am not so joyish or sunshiney when I’m hungry.) Sometimes, though, my mornings are a 3-ring circus and I’m running out the door and all %#$@ is breaking loose and…yeah. That’s why it helps to prep a good breakfast at night.
This smoothie recipe is my go-to for a healthy meal on the quick-fast-and-in-a-hurry. It works great for breakfast, and knowing I’ve already had tons of fruits/veggies first thing makes me feel nutritionally accomplished 🙂
[Also, try this oatmeal recipe for a another quick breakfast option that can be made ahead of time and refrigerated.]
Ingredients: makes 2 large servings
- 6oz container Greek yogurt, flavor of choice*
- 1 1/2 cups grapes
- 1 orange, seeds removed
- 1 apple, chopped and seeds removed
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 large leaf red kale, thick middle stem removed
- 1 cup blueberries**
- 1/2 cup strawberries**
- 1/4 cup raspberries**
- Honey, as desired
- Add ingredients to blender in order, except honey.
- Blend well. Depending on the power of the blender, it might be necessary to blend first 4 ingredients, and then add the rest.
- Add honey to taste, and blend again.
- This recipe can be made ahead and refrigerated, either before or after blending. If blended first, just give it a quick stir or blend before drinking.
Naked Juice Green Machine (widely available at Starbucks, grocery stores, etc.)
When I’m really on the go – or just didn’t think ahead – I grab a Naked Juice Green Machine. The label is so right: I does look weird, but it tastes surprisingly great.